10. One of the lamest things to do for Halloween is buy a creepy mask complete with fake blood and maybe an attached axe and run around begging for candy. How much time did that take anyway? However, the "costume" made my list because it's so popular. It seems to be the go-to for all preteen boys. Plus, I mean, depending on your level of creativity, you can make yourself look cool. Ish.
9. I love seeing tiny one or two year-olds teetering and tottering around while blurting, "Trick or treat!" Whether it be my absolute favorite (a tiny pig) or any other critter, I can't help but smile when I see them. One year, a father dragged an adorable red wagon, which contains a tiny pig and a miniature duck, behind him. Cutest thing I've ever seen. Keep up the cute costumes, parents. You're doing well.
8. Granted, some people take this holiday way too seriously, but I do enjoy seeing the dedication every now and then. With that said, I appreciate costumes from various eras: Renaissance men and women, flapper girls from the Roaring 20's, pink ladies and greasers from the 50's, and hippies from the 70's. Anyway, a lot of these costumes look really cool and creative, so they made number eight on my countdown.
7. Television and movie characters tend to become iconic in our society, so they make perfect Halloween costumes. People like Lucy Ball, the Flinestones, members of the Addams Family, one of the Simpsons, Sandy or Danny from Grease, and the puppets from Sesame Street are just some of the popular characters that we like to imitate. A little Harry Potter never hurt anyone either. Not only can we buy intricate costumes at stores, but some of these characters can become easy DIY costumes.
6. All year long, we watch famous athletes strive for their dreams through our televisions. Peyton Manning, Nick Markakis, Alex Morgan, Ryan Locte, and Lolo Jones are just some of the beasts on the field that we pretend to be for a night. Sure, an athlete proves to be easy costume. All you need is some form of a jersey and some eye-black, but it's cool that we honor someone's hard work (even if it's subconsciously).
5. Superheroes are probably one of the most obvious costume ideas, but personally, I enjoy them. Batman, Wonder Woman, Captain America, the Incredible Hulk, and Thor are definitely favorites. Don't forget about super-villains either. A good Joker or Penguin is always a crowd stopper. Just make sure to perfect the awkward lip stick or the penguin walk. They're the best part of the whole ordeal.
4. Who doesn't want to dress up as food? It's a pretty hilariously done costume. Whether you're a carton of French fries or a piece of broccoli, being food for one night can't be a bad thing. Plus, I'm always reminded of that wonderful Victorious episode in which the teens created a band for children and had to dress up as various snacks. I can still hear the tune they sang in the back of my head.
3. My favorite Halloween that I participated in was when I dressed a bum. It was a super simple costume to put together, and it was kind of fun. I got to cut up clothes and put ink on them, which is always a good idea. I even had a broom stick with a bag on it as my candy bag. Completed with an oversized beanie and black face make-up, I was quite the sight. By the way, just so we're clear, that is not me to the right.
2. Though I'm the opposite of a hopeless romantic, I think couple costumes are cute. If you're Homer and Marge Simpson or Batman and Robin, the continued theme of costumes is a fun idea. You could even combine some other parts of my countdown like being Bacon and Eggs or dating hobos (hmm... interesting idea). Anyway, it's never a bad idea to find a partner for Halloween to make your holiday more enjoyable.
1. Disney has created a plethora of characters that make for perfect Halloween costumes. Anna and Elsa seem to be the favorites for this year, but I'd be partial to Olaf or maybe Rapunzel. Who wouldn't want to wear a long, golden braid for a night? Mickey and Minnie are wonderful ideas as well. Just look into your DVD collection or your Netflix queue to find an idea for tomorrow's costume.
Welcome to my blog! Read my posts for komments on food, movies, TV, music, books, fashion and stage all from the perspective of your average teenage girl!